Let’s talk about who you are voting for. I’m not going to try to convince you to vote Republican. Lower taxes, economic freedom, equal opportunity, national security and all that isn’t for everyone, and I get that. Seriously though, we have many of the same goals. Lowering healthcare costs without destroying our healthcare system, helping people rise up out of poverty, keeping the country safe, keeping our neighborhoods safe, an end to racism, proper management of government with cuts to wasteful spending, these are all goals of both Democrats and Republicans. We just have different ways of getting there.
But the Democrat party isn’t run by moderate Democrats anymore. You have not one, but four Democrat Senate candidates who have been caught on hidden camera telling people they are far more radical than they can publicly admit. They said on these hidden videos that they are hiding their agenda to try to get moderate votes. We have Beto O’Rourke in Texas who wants to import cheap labor illegally so that America’s poor don’t have to work. Instead, he wants to give them universal guaranteed income. It would basically turn our country into a slave/welfare state.
Andrew Gillum was on staff with a radical activist group YP4 that wanted to defund police and end prisons. You may agree with portions of their manifesto, but I’d imagine you’d be a little uncomfortable with their stances on ending capitalism, opening borders, and their dedication to liberation theology which is an ideology of racial supremacy. You might have liked Obama, but you probably wouldn’t sit and listen to a sermon by Jeremiah Wright.
And then there’s Ocasio-Cortez. The question Democrats have to ask themselves is if they really support unfunded economic programs like universal income and universal healthcare if they are going to cost $3.2 trillion a year and require massive tax hikes on the poor just to be sustainable.
You’re still a liberal, but you’re not quite as radical as your party has become. You also don’t like the rhetoric. You hate Trump, you hate what he says, you aren’t particularly fond of his followers. But you don’t think we should attack his supporters. You don’t agree with Maxine Waters that you should show up at restaurants and chase people like Mitch McConnell and his wife out. You aren’t into the radical hatred stuff so much, you really just don’t like Trump. You don’t even really hate your friend who voted for Trump. So some of the leftist rhetoric, like Hollywood actors calling for a bloody revolution if Democrats lose the election isn’t your cup of tea. You really just want to return to that mythical time when the two parties acted with civility.
Here is why the Libertarian party is for you:
- They support legalization of recreational marijuana. Like you, they don’t think the government should decide what you put in your body.
- They support prison reform. Not “cops are white supremacists we need to shut down all prisons and let the inmates go wild” radical Democrat prison reform. But real prison reform where people aren’t locked up for victimless crimes.
- They, like you, are most often pro-choice. They aren’t going around talking about how they are so happy they had abortions and telling people to get their abortions while they still can. They aren’t dressing up in vagina suits and throwing menstrual blood at cops because a 13 year old might have to tell the authorities when someone illegally gets her pregnant. But they do consider abortion to be a private choice between a woman and her doctor. I disagree, but hey I’m not a Democrat.
- They hate government corruption. You hate government corruption. And many of the candidates in your party are corrupt. Senator Bob Menendez went to the Dominican Republic on a lobbyist’s dime to rape underage prostitutes. Andrew Gillum accepted bribes from undercover FBI agents. Libertarians haven’t been to DC yet, so they are still pure and innocent. They can’t even get a lobbyist to buy them a cup of coffee.
- They are fiscally responsible. Now you might not agree with their reductions in social programs, etc. But take heart, chances are none of them will actually win, much less get enough power to actually do something like reform Social Security with higher performing private accounts. So you can rest easy that the government will still hold that leash. But you can personally vote with a clean conscience.
So if you want to vote against Republicans, but you’re no longer comfortable with the crazy that your party has become, consider voting for Libertarians. Check out their platform. I think you’ll see a lot of things you agree with, and not too many you don’t. Their 2nd amendment views will make you antsy. But more antsy than the idea that the government should ban most hunting and sport rifles, and then confiscate them? Because that’s where the DNC is today.
Your friends at Political Brief